Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Savvy Day


Yesterday was a great day. We had a visitor to the barn! Carole and Orion were able to come and play for a while. This picture shows Josie and Coco grazing in the yard before Carole arrived. They were saying, "Is the grass green yet?!"

Josie woke up on the crazy side of the coral on Tuesday, but we were able to sort it out!


Peace in Wisconsin!

Orion is a fuzzy wuzzy...

Carole just had to go picking around on his private bits!

Vegas looking chill....

The happy family!

Kissing the Blarney Stone in Oregon...

So I'll give you the quick run down on our play day today. My short term goals for Josie are to get several small tasks very good. The first is to be in control of her feet. If I pick them up, I should be able to put them down where I want, with positive reflexes. Today was day two of playing with it. She is already giving her feet more willingly, though still has some opposition reflex when it comes to putting them down where I want. We are definitely making progress though (though I am sure watching us is like watching paint dry....which is okay for two introverts--party!!!!)

The other task that I worked on today was getting my pre-flight checks practiced perfectly. Specifically, I worked on the mounting portion. In Kristi's demo at the center, she gave us a perfect demonstration of this that was light and maintained the dignity of the horse. I vowed that I would not ride until I could have such lightness and discipline to do this every time I mount! I practiced my routine on the ground first: Neutral lateral flexion, to an indirect rein, to a direct rein. The direct rein from the ground was difficult! No surprise that it is also more difficult in the saddle!!!! We then practiced bareback mounting with a similar progression (after hurry up and do nothing, of course!) Our neutral lateral flexion definitely needs some work. The girl just wants to move her feet! But I have faith that once she gets the pattern, then she will become light with it. My goal is to be able to do the preflight checks bridle-less, like Kristi did. We just have to make it a positive pattern EVERY time we ride.

Okay, I've babbled enough about that...after our great play session, Kari and I went to the first Savvy Club meeting put on by The Horse First. Kari and I got to Oregon a little early, so we hit a local bar. (That's where the Blarney Stone came in...) Overall, the meeting was great! It is nice to meet up with other local Parelli enthusiasts. It will be a positive group to be a part of.

Later--
Molly and Josie

3 comments:

  1. So you cropped my butt out of the blarney stone pic...does that mean I have to return the favor?? :) HA HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting day. I'm so glad Carole and Orion had an outing ! j

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, your barn seems to be a very lovely and peaceful place. Nice pictures! Best regards from Germany, Sabine

    ReplyDelete