Friday, January 9, 2009

One rein riding





Tonight I got to try out my brand new riding helmet! I like it because it is less bulky than my other one, and seems to fit my head a little better. Kari and I had a mini fashion show in the bathroom with our helmets : ) Then we snagged Ted for a quick picture. He is the one who takes such good care of our horses.

We set up an obstacle course in the arena tonight. Josie and I played on line for a while, working on speed, distance, and quality with our games. I was able to get some nice sideways over obstacles from the end of the 22 foot line. And we did some nice zone 5 driving--for the first time I was at the end of the 22 foot line. I stopped and back up, and she did too! She always thinks she is so clever when she backs up when we are driving from zone 5!

It was cold tonight, so I hopped on bareback. I decided to ride with one rein tonight, since it has been AGES since I have done that. It was fun to do it again. We started out passenger riding for a bit, then we tried to do some figure eights. I had to do a million corrections (and rein tossing) at first, but after a few repetitions she figured out the pattern and we were able to do more harmonious figure eights. Her backing with one rein off the wall still needs some work. It will be a challenge to keep things provocative over the next five weeks. I am going to study the patterns a little bit this weekend so that I can be more creative as we continue to play over the next few weeks.

I apologize for the quality of the arena pictures. It is hard to get good pictures with the lights in the arena!

No comments:

Post a Comment